Friday 2 November 2012

Rated M for Everyone


Hey,
Remember me saying I was going to expand on that little hypothesis of mine? Well there's something more important to cover today regarding rating systems.

Rating systems have been around for over a century now, whether it is the British Board of Film Classification, the Entertainment Software Rating Board, the Pan-European Games Information system or the Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle. Their job is to tell minors what they can and cannot watch and while I am 100% against censorship I believe this is the right thing to do because I certainly wouldn't want my future son or daughter to be watching South Park at age 7, Y Tu Mamá También at age 9 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 at age 12. As well as supporting what they do I also believe they should be enforced by law in any country in which they classify DVDs/Blu-Rays or games, which unfortunately is not the case in most places.

The board I want to criticize is PEGI, Pan-European Game Information which was formed in April 2003 making them 9 years and 7 months old this month, it has operated in the UK for most of that 9 years, I wonder when it became law in the UK, December 2003? May 2004? January 2005? 30th July 2012 not 2010, not 2007, not 2009, TWENTY FUCKING TWELVE. I've said before that I don't believe that video games are more likely to cause violence than any other medium but I still think that its disgusting that retailers have not been penalised for selling games like CoD: MW2 which allows you to massacre innocent civilians to an impressionable 11 year old (or similar).

Ahh, feels nice to have a rambly rant every once in a while, it's soothing in a way, at least it is to me.

I'll end this incoherent rant with this question, what if 10 year old Jimmy-Casual Shithead was allowed to buy Postal 2, Zog's Nightmare or Mortal Kombat 9 because they came under PEGI and the retailer he was getting them from only cared about the money and not the junk he/she was selling? Would you be ok with that?

More posts next week, now onto my weekend of Adventure Time, Ponies, Breaking Bad and Fallout: New Vegas.

I'll try push for the NSMB follow-up to be ready for Monday night, see y'all then, maybe.

TheWardy signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^