Wednesday 30 March 2011

Retrospect 1/8: Atari 2600 vs PS3

Hello and welcome to the first part of my new blog series; Retrospect.
In this series I will be looking at a new and retro console and pointing out the retro's advantages.

I'll start with a controller advantage, the controller (well joystick) on the Atari has a 9-pin joystick adapter which was the same used for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Commodore 64, Sinclair ZX Spectrum (with the Kempton interface) the list goes on which means if the joystick does pack in it is interchangeable, now I've not tested this with the PS3 as I do not own one (yet!) but I don't think that will work very well, if at all.

The second is an obvious one that will be referenced throughout the series, the media keeps up better, this is shown best in carts made by Atari with pin shields.

The next one kinda ties in with the cart vs cd (well...blu-ray) is that there are no load times (until you get into the milliseconds) so no waiting to play :)

Finally (cause I'm kinda late) I don't know about all versions (I have reason to believe mine is a PAL Darth Vader, may be wrong) but my Atari 2600 model does have quite a long RF cable which means as long as you keep the carts nearby you don't really have to get up (I am stupidly lazy so you see why I find this good) whereas most AV cables/HDMI cables aren't long enough to reach the user from say about 7-10 feet.

Anyway apologies for the shortness and lateness of this one, the others will be on time and fully fleshed out I swear.
Ok next week is the first (and probably only) handheld comparison which will be either the NDS or the PSP Vs the original gameboy.
Look forward to seeing you then.
But wait.
Today is (officially) Wednesday.
You know what that means. Drumroll please?
FLASH GAME OF THE WEEK
Which I will start writing in a moment.
Anyway see you all tonight.
Before I go the comment question:
What is your preferred mobile OS (iOS, android etc.) and why?
Kthnxbai.
TheWardy signing off.

4 comments:

  1. "Kthnxbai"
    You've changed Ward ;)
    In answer to your question, I've not had a lot of experience with iOS so I cant really comment, However I can say that Android is far easier to use for simple people like myself. Or maybe that's just because my brother talked me through it. Either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh who's complaining.
    And correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am) but don't/didn't you have an iPod touch? Cause that runs under iOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only just seen this. But no, sadly not. :( Stuck in the past with a nano. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only just seen your reply too D: and aww.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^