Sunday 27 March 2011

Review: Super Mario Land (Gameboy)

Ugh feel crap, forgot about the review, couldn't sleep, the works, on the bright side though I have Runescape: Betrayal at Faldor :)

About the game

Super Mario Land was released on the Gameboy in 1989 (1990 in Europe) and features the same story of Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 kill the people save the princess...only difference is that it's Daisy who is clearly just one of Peach's aliases just like Keith Lemon (character by some british funny bloke that did bo'selecta) and Charlie Sheen's sober self.
Anyway onto the review.

Graphics

The graphics are rather poor for a game of this age, I see that they were trying to recreate the first Super Mario Bros on a handheld platform but lets face it the classic Gameboy, limited 16 bit graphics, actually beaten by the NES (which is around 6 years older). Anyway enough slamming the Gameboy, bad call for the developers especially on a platform with a monochrome display (be good to see what it would have looked like on the Gameboy Colour actually).

My verdict-8/10

Sound

This section loses 4 points for 4 reasons.
The first reason is that well...I don't know, it just seems out of place, very un-mario-ish, the second is that the sound was quite limited when you think of other Gameboy games released in 1989 (take Dr Mario for instance), the third is a little stupid but I gotta point it out, the warp pipe sound is absent, and finally I consider this a little bit lazy, the can-can thing (apparently it's not called that but I can't be bothered looking for it).

My verdict-6/10

Control

The controls are alright but the physics are a bit messy. For some reason the fall speed is double to the jump speed for some reason, I don't know if this was to make it a bit harder or whatever but its not needed, also there are some deceiving drops that seem quite impossible but its not really relevant and therefore points will not be deducted.

My verdict-8/10

Difficulty

This game is not too tricky but the dodgy jump:fall ratio makes it a bit tough.

My verdict-9/10

Length

I've not completed this game as of yet but judging on how far I have got imma say 1 1/2-2 hours, fairly decent.

My verdict-9/10

Replay value

I only play this game occasionally so the replay value isn't something to brag about to be honest.

My verdict-5/10

My final verdict-45/60-B-An ok game but I won't be rushing out to buy the game of the year edition.

Anyway that's it.
Sorry about it being late.
Tomorrow's will be on time, along with updates on where I'm up to on the book :)
Bye.
TheWardy signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^