Thursday 28 April 2011

Retrospect 4/8: Playstation Vs NES/Famicom

OK I may have to cut this series short because I'm running out of current/last gen (yes playstation is still last gen seeing as the PS2 is still current gen) consoles, may not be the case though.

So this Retrospect is about, you guessed it Sony's Playstation and the Nintendo Family Computer/Entertainment System which were released 1994-1995 and 1983-1987 respectively and discontinued 2006 and 1995-2003 (no joke) respectively so as you can see, Playstation lasted for 12 years and the NES a staggering 20 years which means Nintendo had clearly done something right.

OK time to look at them! We will be discussing 4 things: media, storage, loading mechanisms and A/V output.

I shouldn't have to say what the media advantages but here goes: durability and load times (which by the way are atrocious on the Playstation)

Now storage, sadly most NES games (and fortunately hardly any Famicom Disk System Disks) lack battery back-up but the ones that do have it do not rely on removable storage and the problems it causes, most of you would have one a PS or similar you know what they're like.

Only one thing I can say about loading mechanisms, Playstation toploader NES frontloader. Why are frontloaders better than toploaders? they can be stacked! Which in my case is rather good. NEXT!

Finally we come to the A/V, how is RF/RCA better than A/V multi? Simple, if I lose/damage my RF/RCA cable(s) I simply steal one from elsewhere and even use one RF for my NES, Snes and Megadrive (seeing as they all use the same TV). Inversely if I lose/damage my PS2's AV multi cable (which I use for the PS1 too) I have to revert to my RF cable from my PS1 which does affect the picture quality greatly.

Anyway that ends a painfully rushed Retrospect, I should have the Flash Game of the Week up in a few hours followed by the hardware review.
Bye for now.
TheWardy signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^