Wednesday 27 April 2011

Review: Secret Maryo Chronicles (PC, Mac & Linux)

Ok this one is a bit naughty because I only came across this game on Monday and have only played it for about an hour but here goes!

About the game

This game was released as an open-source (My favourite lisence) game in January 2003 and is somewhat of a Super Mario World clone therefore I don't need to explain and for that reason I won't.

Graphics

The graphics in this game look great but I have two complaints. The first being that some graphical aspects of the game make it look like a poorly drawn flash game. The second complaint I have is that although most of the game is 2D, the coins and I guess you could say the mushrooms are 3D which stick out like a sore thumb and just make the game look that little bit tackier.

My verdict-8/10

Sound

Not too much to say about the sound, except for the fact that the music appears to be missing in Ubuntu at least (Anyone proving otherwise, let me know, UPDATE: I have since found out that there is music, but it has to be downloaded separately and seeing as I did not get this game from its original website I did not know it was not included which is a pain in the arse so just 2 points added) and the sound effects are a bit hit and miss to say the least.

My verdict-4/10

Control

The control isn't to obvious (unless you look at the options menu) but is relatively simple to grasp and easy to remember.


My verdict-9/10

Difficulty


This game holds the same difficulty factor as most mario games so theres not really anything to say.

My verdict-9/10

Length


This is where the naughty bit comes in, I've only reached level 3 of this game but because it has a level editor and I think levels can be sent to other users therefore I declare this game technically has infinite length.

My verdict-10/10

Replay value


As I just said: Level editor, make own levels, spread, play more, SIMPLE AS.

My verdict-10/10

My final verdict-52/60-A-This is a great game based on a greater franchise.

Well thats another post closer to catching up, the dev blog is right around the corner.
Back soon!
TheWardy signing off.

2 comments:

  1. Great review as always Ward.
    One thing though, first two, all you had to say was negative, yet they still scored high? You didn't provide any reason for that (ie positives) Or am I missing the point? Just an idea. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll fix that right away :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^