Sunday 8 May 2011

Review: Video Pinball (Atari 2600)

Ok FINALLY back on track, let's keep it this way.

Right I now have time so I'll pay a bit more attention to this one :)

About the game

Video Pinball is a pinball game (if you didn't get that from the name then god help you) released in the arcades in 1978 with a home port on the Atari VCS CX2600 (aka Atari 2600) and plug n play versions (I don’t know their release dates though) by both Atari and Sears. That's really all there is to say..

Moving on.

Graphics

I've seen the capabilities of the Atari 2600 and this really doesn't show it at all, the other games I talk about have decent or impressive going on to amazing but this is not one of those.

My verdict-5/10

Sound

Just a collection of different beeping sounds which isn't good but hey this was 1980 on 8 bytes of memory.

My verdict-5/10

Control

Not good at all, you have a fire button yet you press down on the stick to launch the ball, plus using the stick to operate this flippers is very annoying which cannot be blamed on the fact that there is only one button on the controller because there were other controllers out there including ones with more than one button, more to the point why did we need a home pinball game at all (mind you I play pinball for Windows so I can't say anything really)
The only good thing I can say about it is that the controls are fairly fluent.

My verdict-2/10

Difficulty

Well you don't even need to operate the flippers that often so there's not that much to it.

My verdict-2/10

Length

This game has a variable length so it can be too short or too long really.

My verdict-5/10

Replay value

The replay value of this is terrible really, can't say much more than that.

My verdict-1/10

My final verdict-20/60-D-Lowest score I've ever had to give but let's face it, this game is god awful, really is horrific. On a brighter note I bought this (as well as the 2600) from Level Up (its actually the second one that I've bought from there that I've reviewed, the other was Super Mario Land which was the first game I bought from the 8 day old shop) so I'm kinda supporting the store in a way :D, btw thanks Lucy! (not for the game though)

One last thing before I go, I am considering setting up a Ustream account to use for sort of Q and A sessions during the final few hours of production before my games are released and stuff.

I'll set up a poll up there ^^^ and if I get enough votes by the 30th May I will do it.

Well that's it for me I shall be back on Monday where I hope to see all of you.
Bye all!
TheWardy signing off.

P.S. I've just been looking through the settings and noticed that the timezone was set to PST...oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought.
Be nice please ^^